Historic Sites of Manitoba: Broadway Methodist Church / St. Stephen’s-Broadway United Church (396 Broadway, Winnipeg)
The Broadway Methodist Church in Winnipeg was constructed by contractor S. B. Ritchie at the southeast corner of the intersection of Broadway and Kennedy Street, from 1906 to 1907. Following the 1925 unification of the Methodist, Presbyterian, and Congregationalist faiths in Canada, the congregations of St. Stephen’s Presbyterian Church (Portage Avenue and Spence Street) and Broadway Methodist merged in 1927 to form the St. Stephen’s-Broadway United Church, based in the former Broadway Methodist building.
The building was destroyed by fire on 9 March 1968 and was replaced on the same site by the present structure.
Photos & Coordinates
“Bids farewell to his congregation,” Manitoba Free Press, 2 June 1913.
“Weekend blaze hits city church,” Winnipeg Free Press, 11 March 1968, page 3.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 22 April 2020
Back to top of page