St. James Anglican Church, near the corner of Tylehurst Street and Portage Avenue in Winnipeg, is the oldest wooden church in Manitoba. In 1850, Rev. W. H. Taylor was instructed by the Bishop of Rupert’s Land, David Anderson, to establish a church for the settlement expanding westward along the banks of the Assiniboine River. Located on high ground, this site was chosen for its association in the minds of settlers with shelter and deliverance from devastating floods. On 8 June 1853, the cornerstone of the new church was laid and by the end of the year the Red River frame building was completed. Consecrated as St. James Church on 29 May 1855, it became a focal point of settlement along the Assiniboine and gave its name to the surrounding area.
In 1998, a plaque was erected west of the church building by the Historic Sites Advisory Board of Manitoba.
St. James Anglican Church and Cemetery (March 2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Interior of St. James Anglican Church (May 2016)
Source: George Penner
St. James Anglican Church, Cemetery, and Commemorative Plaque (March 2020)
Source: Rose Kuzina
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.87928, W97.19912
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Red River Frame Buildings
Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. James Anglican Church (195 Collegiate Street, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
St. James the Assiniboine (church web site)
St. James Anglican Church & Cemetery (525 Tylehurst Street), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings and Resources Committee, October 2018.
Page revised: 21 November 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!