Memorable Manitobans: Lawrence Adne Stuckey (1921-2001)
Railroader, photographer, historian.
Born at Brandon in 1921, son of Adne Harkness Stuckey (1892-1942) and Catherine Gilmour (1892-1969), he was educated at Fleming School, Earl Oxford School, and Brandon Collegiate. In May 1941, he began working as a fireman with the Canadian Pacific Railway but left in October 1942 to join the Royal Canadian Air Force, serving as a navigator and bomb aimer. After the Second World War, he returned to Western Manitoba, and to the CPR. He was promoted to fireman-engineer in 1950.
In January 1958, he purchased the Clark-Smith Photo Studio in Brandon. Stuckey and his wife Mildred Mavis Stuckey (1924-1999), who he married in 1946, ran the studio until their retirement in the mid-1980s. He was a member of the Brandon Stamp Club, Allied Arts Council, Brandon Horticultural Society, Brandon Model Railroad Club, Assiniboine Historical Society, and Fort Whyte Centre. In 1987, he was appointed to the Manitoba Order of the Buffalo Hunt and, in 1997, he received an honorary Doctorate of Laws Degree from Brandon University.
Marriage registration [Adne Stuckey, Catherine Gilmour], Manitoba Vital Statistics.
Obituary, Brandon Sun, 14 June 2001, page B8.
“Lawrence Stuckey left proud legacy,” Brandon Sun, 16 June 2001, page A6.
Burial transcriptions, Manitoba Genealogical Society.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 20 January 2019
Back to top of page