Memorable Manitobans: Henry Stewart Perdue (1904-1979)
Born on a farm in the RM of Glenwood on 16 September 1904, son of Thomas H. Perdue and Ellen E. Stewart, he attended Souris Collegiate then entered Brandon College in 1924 and graduated with a BA degree four years later. He then joined the faculty of the college, and later received a PhD in Geology from the University of Chicago. Over the years, he served as a lecturer, professor, resident master, acting President, student councellor, and director of extension. He retired after 45 years of service then held the position of Director of the University Research Station.
He was active in the community, serving as President of the Brandon Game and Fish Association, a charter Director of the Canadian Wildlife Federation, and a founding trustee of the Fort Whyte Nature Centre. He was a member of the Knox United Church, Brandon Curling Club, Masons (Grand Master of Grand Lodge of Manitoba, 1966), and Brandon YMCA. He and wife Ella May had two daughters, Beth Perdue Storeshaw and Ellen Perdue Tieman.
He died at Brandon on 22 December 1979 and was buried in the Souris Glenwood Cemetery.
Birth registration, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“University veteran dies,” Brandon Sun, 24 December 1979, page 1.
Obituary, Brandon Sun, 24 December 1979, page 24.
Obituary [Ellen Edith Perdue], Brandon Sun, 17 July 1986, page 23.
We thank Stan Barclay for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 10 September 2016