Memorable Manitobans: Beulah Beryl McNevin (1896-1963)
Born at Baie St. Paul on 15 September 1896, daughter of Angus McNevin and Katherine Bickerton (1869-1929), she was educated at several schools in rural Manitoba, following the movement of her schoolteacher father, and later Second Class and First Class certificates, as well as BA and BEd degrees from the University of Manitoba. At the age of 16, she spent a year at the Central Normal School, receiving a Third Class teaching certificate that enabled her to teach at Nobleton School and Hiltonmye School (1913-1914). Her entire adult life was spent as a teacher, including six years at missionary schools at Pelican Rapids and Fairford under the auspices of the Anglican Church, and at Cossette School (1926). She was the Principal of Lauder School (1944-1945), Amaranth School (1946-1947), and Pierson School (1948-1950) before moving to suburban Winnipeg where she taught English Literature and Composition at Chapman School (1954-1955) and Charleswood Collegiate (1955-1962). She was a member of the University Women’s Club and St. Mary’s Anglican Church. She retired to Westbank, British Columbia in late 1962 and died at Kelowna, unmarried, on 11 June 1963. She was buried in the St. John’s Cathedral Cemetery.
Birth registration, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
“Miss McNevin,” Oakwood [Charleswood Collegiate Yearbook], 1956-1957, page 34.
Death registration, British Columbia Vital Statistics.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 12 June 1963, page 30.
Hilton Heritage, Hilton History Book Committee, 1987, page 31.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 3 July 2019
Back to top of page