Historic Sites of Manitoba: Woodnorth Consolidated School No. 1533 (Woodnorth, RM of Pipestone)
The Woodnorth School District was established formally in April 1910, with a one-room frame schoolhouse constructed in the village of Woodnorth, in the Rural Municipality of Pipestone. In May 1918, it became Woodnorth Consolidated School No. 1533 when it consolidated with Daybreak School No. 376 and Retloc School No. 1908.
As student enrollment rose, the original classroom was supplemented by two more so, by the time the school was in its heyday, it comprised three classrooms. During the 1960s, with the closure of rural schools in the surrounding area, Mayville School No. 375 and Elm Valley School No. 869, their students were sent to Woodnorth. The school closed in 1968 and the district was dissolved in 1970. A commemorative monument was erected in 1995 beside the former school building, which was stripped of its brick veneer in 1990.
Among the teachers at Woodnorth School were Miss Sylvia Cuthbert (1968) and Mrs. Mildred Harkness (?-1968).
Photos & Maps
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Trails Along the Pipestone by Pipestone History Project, c1981, page 724. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.P56 Tra]
The Sequel to Trails Along the Pipestone, RM Pipestone History Committee, 2008, page 38.
We thank David Harkness and Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 12 December 2017
Back to top of page