Memorable Manitobans: Francis J. Lundy (1842-1912)
Born in Chinguacousy Township, Peel County, Canada West (now Ontario) on 14 February 1842, son of Joseph Lundy and Mary Jane Bostwick, he taught school for a number of years in Chinguacousy Township then entered actively in the oil industry at Petrolia. On 17 September 1863, he married Caroline Morton (1842-1915) in York County, Ontario and they had four sons and two daughters. He came to Winnipeg in 1872. During his four-year stay he helped to erect a grist mill, known as the MacLean flour mill, which was purchased by the Hudson’s Bay Company in 1875. He moved to Weyburn, North West Territories (now Saskatchewan) in 1876, where he took up farming, then moved to the Rural Municipality of St. Laurent in 1880. Lundyville, where he served as postmaster, was named after him. He remained there until shortly before his death. He was a member of the Conservative party and active in the Orange Order. He was a secretary-treasurer and trustee of the Lily Bay School District for fifteen years, and was a commissioner of the Court of Queen’s Bench for thirty years. He died at Winnipeg on 16 December 1912 and was buried in the Lily Bay Cemetery.
Pioneers and Early Citizens of Manitoba, Winnipeg: Manitoba Library Association, 1971.
Death registration, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
Obituaries and burial transcriptions, Manitoba Genealogical Society.
We thank Deborah Glover for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 17 June 2020
Back to top of page