Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lily Bay United Church and Cemetery (RM of Coldwell)
This church was built in 1906 as a Union Church, one of the first of its kind in Canada, by settlers in the Lily Bay district, in the Rural Municipality of Coldwell, next to the overland Colonization Road connecting the agricultural area east of Lake Manitoba to Winnipeg. The church was restored after years of neglect and is still used for special occasions. It is a municipally designated historic site (1994).
Behind the church building is a small cemetery, first used in 1908.
A list of burials in this cemetery is available from the Manitoba Genealogical Society, including a searchable online database available to members at the MGS Manitoba Name Index (MANI). Some additional information is contained in the 1996 MGS publication Carved in Stone: Manitoba Cemeteries and Burial Sites, revised edition, Special Projects Publication, 106 pages.
“Cemeteries used in Eriksdale area,” Beyond Beginnings by Eriksdale Municipal Heritage Advisory Committee, 1996, page 24.
Lily Bay United Church, SE 21-20-6 WPM, Lundar area, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 22 May 2022