Memorable Manitobans: Arthur Eaton Johnston (1884-1975)
Born at Ottumwa, Iowa on 30 December 1884, son of Charles and Barbara Johnston, he came to Manitoba in May 1896 and was educated at Wesley College (BA 1906) and the University of Manitoba (LLB 1908). He articled in law with Jeremiah Edward O’Connor and was called to Manitoba Bar in November 1909 and practiced law as a member of the law firm of Johnston, Jessiman, Gardner and Swancar and later as a member of Pitblado Hoskin. He was made a King’s Counsel in 1927. He also served as counsel for the Law Society of Manitoba. He retired from active practice in 1972.
For many years he was President of the School of Nursing Advisory Committee and, in 1962, during their 75th anniversary observation was made an honorary graduate of the School of Nursing. In February 1921, he joined the board of the Winnipeg General Hospital, serving on it for 50 years. He served as honorary treasurer of the board starting in 1947, and later served as President, Chairman, and Honorary President. In 1971, a small green space in front of main entrance to the hospital was renamed Johnston Park in his honour.
In February 1971, he was inducted into the Manitoba Order of the Buffalo Hunt in recognition of his many years of volunteer service. He was a member of the Masons (Assiniboine Lodge), Winnipeg Rotary Club (President), Manitoba Club, and St. Charles Country Club.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 10 July 1975, page 19.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 April 2022