Memorable Manitobans: Harry Bond Hunter (1904-1968)
Educator, municipal official, editor.
Born at Castledawson, Londonderry County, Northern Ireland, on 2 April 1904, son of George Hunter, he immigrated to Canada with his parents, receiving early education at Deloraine School. He attended the Brandon Normal School and taught at Goodlands School, Eriksdale School, Nord School (1922), and Sidney School (1925-1927). He would later become Principal of Windsor School (1933-1937) prior to working for the Manitoba Department of Education, organizing Audio-Visual Services and was Editor of the Manitoba School Journal.
During the Second World War, he served in the Royal Canadian Air Force (1941-1945), retiring a Squadron Leader. Following military service, he served with War Assets (1945-1950), followed by a return to the Department of Education as Administrative Officer. In 1950, he became Executive Secretary of the Manitoba Government Employers Association and was Editor of the Bison. He was the first National Secretary (1962-1968) of the Canadian Federation of Government Employee Organizations, a position he held until his death. A 38-year resident of St. Vital, he served five years on municipal council and was a member of the Masonic Order (Windsor Lodge No. 138). He and his wife wife, Helen, had two sons, James and William.
“Prof. C. W. Lowe at St. Vital Parent Education Group,” Winnipeg Free Press, 24 October 1936, page 10.
“St. Vital,” Winnipeg Tribune, 26 August 1933, page 18.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 13 May 1968, page 26.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 5 June 2017
Back to top of page