Historic Sites of Manitoba: Windsor School (80 Cunnington Avenue, Winnipeg)
Built in 1922 in the Glenlawn School District, as a result of overwhelming support by local voters, Windsor School was rushed to completion to meet growing enrollment demands. Also known as “Windsor Park School” in the early years, and sometimes confused with other “Windsor Park schools” in the surrounding Windsor Park neighbourhood, the school’s scheduled opening in early September 1922 was delayed a few weeks while the sewer line was being extended and connected to the school. The five-room facility featured four classrooms and a large assembly hall that could be divided into two classrooms, yielding capacity for 50 more students. Designed with expansion in mind, the foundation on which the school was build was ready to receive a further nine classrooms.
In 1934, work began on a five-room 60 x 60 foot addition built by the general contractor firm of Claydon & Company. It was completed by 1935 at a cost of around $15,000. Based on designs of Winnipeg architectural firm Smith Carter Katelnikoff Architects, three classrooms were converted into a large auditorium in 1954, which would later be named in honour of long-time Principal John Dean Finlay. Other additions and alterations to the building were made in 1957, 1960, 1968, and 1974.
Teachers (partial list)
Photos & Maps
“Windsor Park School,” Winnipeg Tribune, 16 June 1921, page 6.
“Teeming St. Vital population crowds schools,” Winnipeg Tribune, 19 August 1922, page 5.
“St. Vital,” Winnipeg Tribune, 8 Sept 1922, page 19.
“St. Vital,” Winnipeg Tribune, 18 August 1934, page 5.
“Windsor School addition,” Winnipeg Tribune, 18 August 1934, page 26.
“Legislature,” Winnipeg Free Press, 6 March 1935, page 5.
“Notice to tender,” Winnipeg Free Press, 14 May 1954, page 38.
“The Schools of St. Vital,” History of St. Vital Schools, revised 1995. [St. Vital Museum]
“Class of 2017,” Winnipeg Free Press, 12 January 2013, page J4.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 8 November 2017
Back to top of page