Memorable Manitobans: John W. Forhan (1869-1949)
Born at Chatham, Ontario on 14 July 1869, he taught school at Kenora, Ontario from 1905 to 1906. He came to Winnipeg in April 1906 to open the John M. King School. He served as Principal of the Central Collegiate, Victoria School (1909-1918), John M. King School (1918-1922), and Mulvey School (1926-1938). He was a member of the Assiniboine Lawn Bowling Club, Mentor’s Club, and Young United Church. He died at his Winnipeg home, 104 Arlington Street, on 5 September 1949 and was buried in Brookside Cemetery.
“Collapse of facade,” Winnipeg Tribune, 3 April 1906, page 6.
“Building review,” Winnipeg Tribune, 15 December 1906, page 8.
“John W. Forhan, former principal, dies at 80 years,” Winnipeg Free Press, 6 September 1949, page 7.
Winnipeg School Days, 1871-1950 by W. G. Pearce, Winnipeg School Division, Education Resource Centre.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 16 February 2015