Historic Sites of Manitoba: Young Methodist Church / Young United Church (222 Furby Street, Winnipeg)
The original Young Methodist Church, named for George Young, was built in the summer of 1891 at a cost of $1,300. The inaugural service was held on the first Sunday in 1892, given by Rev. Dr. Stewart, who also gave the closing address on 14 April 1907. A new church building, designed by local architect James Chisholm and constructed immediately west of the old structure, was dedicated and opened on 21 April 1907. An addition was made in 1910. It later became Young United Church.
A Young Church School operated in 1908-1909 with Miss M. R. Gordon as Principal, and Miss H. Kay and Miss C. Bemister as teachers.
The present brick tower is all that remains of the second Young United Church, destroyed in a major fire on 27 December 1987. The tower is a municipally-designated historic site.
Photos & Coordinates
“Handsome church for Methodists,” Winnipeg Tribune, 10 April 1907, page 5.
“Last service in old Young Church,” Manitoba Free Press, 13 April 1907, page 14.
“Ministers preach opening sermons,” Winnipeg Telegram, 7 July 1913.
“Appointed to Young United,” Winnipeg Free Press, 10 July 1958, page 13.
222 Furby Street, Young United Church, Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, October 1985.
“92-year-old church lost in inferno,” Winnipeg Free Press, 28 December 1987, page 1.
We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 22 April 2020
Back to top of page