Memorable Manitobans: William Clougher (1851-1905)
Born at Drumaghei, Ireland on 12 March 1851, son of John Clougher and Jane Carroll, he was educated in Dublin before emigrating to Canada in 1881 and settling at Toronto where he became a member of the police force.
In the fall of 1881, he moved to Winnipeg and opened a restaurant in the Spencer Block known as the English Chop House. In 1890 he began operating the Clarendon Hotel, also operating the Bodega Hotel at Port Arthur and owning the Queen’s Hotel at Kenora. There he also built the Clougher Block. He built the Queen’s Hotel at Morden and the Victoria Hotel at Carman (1903), and owned a ranch at St. Jean.
In 1893, he won first prize at the Chicago World’s Fair for Red Fife wheat grown on his farm. He was a member of the Winnipeg Grain Exchange and owned a grain elevator at Otterburne. At one time he was President of the Empire Brewing Company and a director of the Canada West Fire Insurance Company at Winnipeg.
In 1886, he married Marietta Wright (?-?) at Toronto. They had no children. He was a member of the Masons and Loyal Orange Lodge.
He died at Carman on 25 July 1905 as a result of a surgical operation and was buried in Mount Pleasant Cemetery at Toronto, Ontario.
The Story of Manitoba by F. H. Schofield, Winnipeg: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1913.
Death registration, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“Hotel pioneer dies at Carman,” Manitoba Free Press, 26 July 1905, page 14.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 13 November 2021