Memorable Manitobans: Charles Saunders Bridgman (1876-1965)
Born at Toronto, Ontario on 14 February 1876, son of William Bridgman and Elizabeth Saunders, he moved with his family to London, Ontario where he took his early schooling, later studying architecture at the Atelier Masqueray in New York City from about 1892 to 1897, when he commenced an architectural practice with C. A. Rich. On 1 January 1903 he married Maida Helena McBroom of London and, later that year, they moved to Winnipeg where he practised architecture until 1937. He retired to London, Ontario in 1938.
During the Second World War, he was called into service in the construction of Air Training Stations in central Ontario and, after the war, he returned to private practice with his brother Gordon Bridgman. He retired a second time in 1955. He died at London, Ontario on 17 October 1965.
Some of his architectural works in Manitoba included:
Advertisement, Manitoba Free Press, 25 February 1904, page 2.
“New St. Giles’ is a beautiful edifice,” Manitoba Free Press, 14 March 1908, page 5.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 27 October 1965, page 17.
Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada, 1800-1950 by Robert G. Hill, Toronto.
Winnipeg Building Index, University of Manitoba.
We thank L. D. Laird and Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 23 December 2019
Back to top of page