Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Giles Presbyterian Church / St. Giles United Church / Salam Masjid Mosque (294 Burrows Avenue, Winnipeg)
St. Giles Church, the first Presbyterian congregation in Winnipeg’s North End, was formed in 1884 as the North Presbyterian Mission with support from St. Andrew’s Church on Elgin Avenue and students from Manitoba College. Its first church was a small frame structure at Main Street and Aberdeen Avenue, which served from 1885 to 1886. A second brick building on Selkirk Avenue was used from 1888 to 1889. The congregation chose this site, at the southwest corner of Burrows Avenue and Charles Street, in 1906 and commissioned local architect C. S. Bridgman to prepare the plans. It opened in March 1908 with a sanctuary capable of holding up to 1,100 people and a horseshoe-shaped gallery that provided additional seating.
In the 1920s, St. Giles joined the United Church of Canada. Membership dwindled gradually through the years and the congregation eventually disbanded. The building, a municipally-designated historic site, was sold in 1973 to the Elmwood Bethel Mennonite Church. In May 1997, it was acquired by the Bethlehem Aboriginal Fellowship, part of the Baptist Union of Western Canada. In 2015, citing the building’s age and deteriorated condition, the Baptist Union asked the City of Winnipeg to remove its heritage designation so it could be demolished. This was not done and, at the time of a 2018 site visit, it was Salam Masjid Mosque.
A bronze memorial tablet honouring members of the St. Giles Presbyterian Church congregation who were killed in the First World War was unveiled on 23 May 1920 by Lieutenant-Governor James Albert Manning Aikins. Its current location is unknown.
Photos & Coordinates
First World War Casualties
For the names of First World War casualities from Manitoba who do not appear on any physical monument in the province, see the Manitoba Historical Society War Memorial. If you know of a name that is omitted from this list, please contact the MHS War Memorial Researcher Darryl Toews (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Soldiers of the First World War - Canadian Expeditionary Force, Library and Archives Canada.
Canadian Virtual War Memorial, Veterans Affairs Canada.
Financial support for research reported on this page was provided by the Manitoba Heritage Grants Program (2015-2016).
“Tablet is unveiled by Lieutenant-Governor Aikins,” Manitoba Free Press, 25 May 1920, page 4.
Former St. Giles United Church (294 Burrows Avenue), Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, November 1999.
We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 30 September 2022