Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dawson Richardson Building (171 McDermot Avenue, Winnipeg)
Designed by local architect C. S. Bridgman and built in 1921 for Dawson Richardson, a grain broker turned publisher, this building housed the firm that published the Grain Trade News, Western Gardener and The Musical Life and Arts Magazine. A commemorative plaque is mounted near the southeast corner of the building, which is a municipally-designated historic site. In 2017, an interior renovation project received a Conservation Award from Heritage Winnipeg.
Dawson Richardson Building (April 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Dawson Richardson Building commemorative plaque (2009)
Source: City of Winnipeg
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.89713, W97.13723
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Porter Building / Galpern Building (165 McDermot Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Memorable Manitobans: Richard Bertram Dawson Richardson (1878-1966)
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
Dawson Richardson Building (171 McDermot Avenue), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, January 2000.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 11 January 2020
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.