Memorable Manitobans: James Waugh (1860-1927)
Eldest son of Richard Waugh and Janet Deans, brother of R. D. Waugh, J. C. Waugh and William Waugh, he arrived in Winnipeg in 1882 and became one of the city’s first contractors, being responsible for construction of the first sewer in Winnipeg, on Bannatyne Avenue. He was inspector during construction of the provincial asylum at Selkirk in 1884. Several years later he moved to Calgary, NWT [now Alberta] where he built the Hudson’s Bay Company store and other buildings. Still later he moved to Kaslo, British Columbia where managed steamboats owned by the International Navigation Company. He returned to Winnipeg around 1912 and resuming his contracting business, being involved in the restoration of Broadway Methodist Church. He later organized the insurance adjusting and appraising firm of Messrs. Patterson, Waugh and O’Fallon. He died at Kamloops, British Columbia on 12 February 1927.
Death registration, British Columbia Vital Statistics.
“James Waugh, pioneer contractor, is dead,” undated newspaper clipping. [Manitoba Legislative Library, Biographical Scrapbook B8]
We thank Fran Howard for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 17 April 2015
Back to top of page