Memorable Manitobans: Rupert Leslie Taylor (1905-1979)
Born at Headingley on 7 December 1905, son of Rupert Taylor and Alice Ann Dennison, a descendant of HBC fur traders, he graduated from St. John’s College in 1929 and was ordained in 1931. He was the former Rector of the following Manitoba Anglican churches: St. Andrew’s on the Red, St. George’s (Transcona), and St. John the Baptist (Manitou). During the Second World War, he served overseas with the Chaplaincy Corps of the Canadian Armed Forces, from 1940 to 1945. Upon his return to Canada, he travelled for five years as the representative for the Lord’s Day Alliance in Manitoba and Saskatchewan. He served for one and a half years as Rector of Old Christ Church (Winnipeg) then moved to St. Alban’s Anglican Cathedral (Prince Albert, Saskatchewan) for 11 years, first as Canon and then as Dean. He retired to Winnipeg in 1963, concentrating on writing, travelling extensively, and assisting the church ministry. On 29 August 1931, he married Gladys Russell Lyall (?-?, daughter of Hugh Buxton Lyall) and they had three children. He was active in the building of the replica Grant’s Mill on Sturgeon Creek. He died at his Winnipeg home on 20 April 1979 and was buried in the St. Andrew’s-on-the-Red Cemetery.
His articles for the Manitoba Historical Society:
Birth and marriage registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
1911 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 23 April 1979, page 46.
Obituaries and burial transcriptions, Manitoba Genealogical Society.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 9 May 2020