Memorable Manitobans: George Frame Stephens (1851-1921)
Wholesale paint manufacturer.
Born near Collingwood, Ontario on 7 August 1851, son of James Dawson Stephens and Mary Stephens, cousin of J. F. Frame. He was educated at the Collingwood Grammar School then, in 1871, commenced a career in the hardware business at Owen Sound, Ontario, later moving to Montreal. He came to Winnipeg in 1882 and established a wholesale paint manufacturing business. In 1880, he married Alice M. Christie of Bowmanville, Ontario, with whom he had two sons: Laurence C. Stephens and George Findlay Stephens. He lived at 3 Willmot Place, Winnipeg. In 1911, Stephens was President of G. F. Stephens & Company, 170-176 Market Street, Winnipeg. He served as President of the YMCA from 1903 to 1911. He was a member of the Canadian Club of Winnipeg, St. Charles Country Club, and Manitoba Club. He died at Pasadena, California on 27 March 1921 and was buried in Elmwood Cemetery. He is commemorated by Camp Stephens, on Lake of the Woods, south of Kenora, Ontario.
Who’s Who in Western Canada: A Biographical Dictionary of Notable Living Men and Women of Western Canada, Volume 1, edited by C. W. Parker, Vancouver: Canadian Press Association, 1911.
The Leading Financial, Business & Professional Men of Winnipeg, published by Edwin McCormick, Photographs by T. J. Leatherdale, Compiled and printed by Stone Limited, c1913. [copy available at the Archives of Manitoba]
“Founder of Big Winnipeg Pain Business Expires”, undated newspaper clipping. [Manitoba Legislative Library, Biographical Scrapbook B7, page 108]
We thank Julia Boak for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 8 May 2017
Back to top of page