Memorable Manitobans: Frank Andrew Smith (1881-1940)
Born at Whitemouth on 9 December 1881, son of railway contractor Campbell Andrew Smith, he attended the North Central School in Winnipeg and graduated from the Manitoba Medical College in 1906. He practiced medicine for Canadian Pacific Railway construction crews at Maple Creek, Saskatchewan for two years. Returning to Winnipeg, he interned at the St. Boniface Hospital then, in 1915, he moved to Birtle and took charge of the Indian School Hospital there. He also opened a private hospital at Birtle. When a hospital board was appointed, it became the Birtle Municipal Hospital.
He then took training in x-ray technology at Chicago and radium research at New York which provided the basis for his specialization in Winnipeg after his return. He was a member of the Winnipeg General Hospital staff and on the faculty of the Manitoba Medical College. He served two terms on the Winnipeg School Board and as President of the Manitoba Beekeepers Association.
He died at Winnipeg on 11 April 1940.
“Norquay sits where Selkirk Settlers once sowed grain” by Claire Tisdale, Winnipeg Free Press, 1 February 1949.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 14 June 2014
Back to top of page