Memorable Manitobans: Henry Pears Nicholson (1868-1933)
Born at Carlisle, England on 25 March 1868, son of John Nicholson and Eliza Pears, he was educated at Grosvenor College then assisted his father until 1886 when he took up the study of farming methods. Three years later, in 1889, he emigrated with his family to Canada and travelled to Dauphin where they took up farming. He farmed for eight years then, in 1897, he gave up farming and, in partnership with his brother James B. Nicholson, he bought the store of the Hudson’s Bay Company at Dauphin. He later gave up the business and started, in partnership with Mr. Hawkins, the firm of Nicholson and Hawkins that specialized in real estate, insurance, and auctioneering. He also owned 960 acres of farmland, built the Cameron Block in Dauphin, and was Vice President of the Eagle Manufacturing Company of Dauphin.
On 24 March 1892, he married Margaret Matilda Hall (?-?), daughter of John Hall, at Dauphin. They had six children: John Henry Eric Nicholson (1898-?), Bertha Elizabeth Nicholson (1897-?), James Lorne Roy Nicholson (1899-1985), Sidney Vernon Nicholson (1903-?), Harry Merton Eldridge Nicholson (1905-?), and Margarita P. Nicholson (?-?). He was a member of the Methodist Church, Masons, IOOF, Knights of Pythias, Royal Templars, Loyal Orange Lodge, and Dauphin Club. He was a United Farmers candidate for Dauphin in the 1922 provincial election.
Birth, marriage, and death registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
1901 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
Obituary [J. L. R. Nicholson], Roblin Review, 7 January 1986, page 4.
Obituaries and burial transcriptions, Manitoba Genealogical Society.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 24 March 2020