Manitoba Communities: Virden (Town)
Virden was established in 1882 as a stopping point on the Canadian Pacific Railway as it moved west across the prairies. Initially known as Gopher Creek, for a creek that flowed into the Assiniboine River, its name was changed to Virden in 1883, for the country estate of the Duke of Manchester, who served on the CPR Board of Directors. Oil was discovered in its vicinity in 1957, making Virden the centre of Manitoba’s “oil patch.”
Search the MHS collection of biographies for ones connected to Virden:
Geographic Names of Manitoba, Manitoba Conservation, 2000.
We thank Jeff McConnell for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 28 January 2019Back to top of page