Memorable Manitobans: Alexander Shirriff Morrison (1880-1955)
Born at Waddington, New York on 16 February 1880, son of physician John Francis Morrison (1840-1910) and Anna Markland Shiriff (1849-1912, sister of James Shirriff), brother of John F. Morrison, he moved with his family to Pierson in 1892. He studied at Brandon Collegiate and St. John’s College, where he received a BA degree in 1903. He taught at St. Agathe, Pilot Mound School, and Glenboro High School before taking up legal studies, articling with the firm of Fisher, Wilson and Ewart and being called to the Manitoba Bar in 1907. He first practised law in Souris then came to Winnipeg in 1913. A member of the firm of Morrison and Stapley, he specialized in the legislation and taxation affecting the grain trade. He served as counsel for the North West Grain Dealers Association for many years. He was made a King’s Counsel in 1936.
On 17 June 1908, he married Bessie Adeline Davis (1881-1971) of Emerson, with whom he had a son, John Edward Morrison (1911-1966). He founded the Blackstone Club and was one of the founders of the River Heights Community Club. He served as a President of the Manitoba Historical Society (1935-1938).
His articles for the Manitoba Historical Society:
1901 and 1911 Canada censes, Automated Genealogy.
Marriage registration, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“Six Manitoba barristers appointed King’s Counsel,” Winnipeg Free Press, 1 January 1936, page 1.
To the Memory of Alexander Shirriff Morrison, Q.C., LL.B. by W. L. Morton
“Pioneer lawyer dies at 75,” Winnipeg Free Press, 1 July 1955, page 24.
“Funeral rites today for A. S. Morrison,” Winnipeg Free Press, 4 July 1955, page 16.
Obituary [Mrs. Bessie Adeline Morrison], Winnipeg Free Press, 16 August 1971, page 25.
We thank M. L. Stubbs for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 13 November 2017
Back to top of page