Historic Sites of Manitoba: Pilot Mound School No. 105 (Pilot Mound, Municipality of Louise)
The Pilot Mound School District was established formally in November 1880, in the Village of Pilot Mound. A two-storey wood frame structure, known as the “Old Red School,” continued to be used after a two-storey brick school building was erected nearby in 1905 on a design by Winnipeg architect J. H. G. Russell. The brick school was demolished in 1959. It was replaced by a building that, in the 1960s, became Pilot Mound Consolidated School when it was consolidated with rural schools from the surrounding vicinity: Goudney School No. 87, Gowancroft School No. 204, Marringhurst School No. 231, Pembina School No. 270, Wood Bay School No. 307, Floral School No. 397, Copperfield School No. 480, and Stuartville School No. 795.
Photos & Coordinates
“The Indian famine fund,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 March 1897, page 4.
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
“Pilot Mound, Man,” Western Canada Fire Underwriters’ Association map, June 1911, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Captured Memories: A Pictorial History of the R.M. of Louise by Pilot Mound Museum, 2000. [Copy at Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.L69 Cap]
Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada, 1800-1950 by Robert G. Hill, Toronto.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 20 November 2019
Back to top of page