Memorable Manitobans: George Andrews Mitchell (1857-1909)
Born at Peterborough, Ontario on 17 February 1857, he was educated at the Peterborough public school. He came to Manitoba in March 1879 and worked as a carpenter and draftsman in the firm of Robert D. Paterson until he became a partner in 1882. He moved to St. Paul, Minnesota in 1887 or 1888, to work in general contracting, before returning to Winnipeg in 1891. He was involved in the construction of numerous major buildings in the city, establishing in 1903 the firm of Manitoba Construction Company. He severed his connection to the company when, in 1905, the firm of Kelly Brothers & Mitchell was founded, with Mitchell as its Secretary. In the spring of 1909, he became a partner in the Lyall-Mitchell Company with Peter Lyall.
In 1885, he married Amelia Armstrong (?-?) of Millbrooke, Ontario and they had one child, Anna Olive Mitchell (1886-?). He was a founding member, in 1906, of the St. Charles Country Club and a member of the Holy Trinity Church.
Some of his construction works in Manitoba included:
1901 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
Birth and death registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“Death comes to Geo. A. Mitchell,” Winnipeg Tribune, 20 August 1909, page 1.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 20 October 2021