Memorable Manitobans: Frank Morrison March (1863-1944)
Born at St. Paul, Minnesota on 22 October 1863, one of five children of Jonathan Nelson March (1828-1913) and Mary Jane Morrison (1842-1932), he was educated at the public and high schools of Litchfield, Minnesota then went into general merchandising at Glencoe, Minnesota and, later, Pierre, South Dakota. He went into banking in 1894 and, in partnership with his three brothers, owned several banks throughout Minnesota.
He came to Winnipeg in 1901 as senior partner in the real estate firm of March Brothers and Wells. The firm purchased the Lord Elphinstone Ranch near Newdale. He was the founding President of the Export Elevator Company and he owned the Mayook Lumber Company in British Columbia.
On 17 June 1891, he married Emma F. Wadsworth (1866-1913) of New Haven, Connecticut at Glencoe, Minnesota. They had two daughters: Fidelia Wadsworth March (1892-1973, wife of Roy Armstrong Bowers) and Mary W. March (1894-?). He was a member of the Knights of Pythias, Carleton Club, St. Charles Country Club, and Winnipeg Board of Trade.
He was living at Litchfield, Minnesota in September 1929. He died on 31 August 1944.
“Realizing our advantages,” Manitoba Free Press, 10 August 1901, page 6.
A History of Manitoba: Its Resources and People by Prof. George Bryce, Toronto: The Canadian History Company, 1906.
“Beech heirs do not wish to sell Churchill lots,” Winnipeg Tribune, 17 September 1929, page 1.
Frank Morrison March, FamilySearch.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 9 May 2021