Memorable Manitobans: Marion Elizabeth MacAulay (1890-1974)
Born at Morden on 12 July 1890, youngest daughter of Finlay MacAulay (1842-1918) and Margaret MacDonald (1860-1930), sister of J. A. MacAulay and Archibald MacAulay, and sister-in-law of Andrew E. McGavin. She taught in rural schools before moving to Winnipeg in 1912. She spent two years teaching an elementary class at St. John’s High School. She later taught at Pinkham School (1914-1917), Norquay School (1918-1920), Aberdeen School, and General Wolfe School. She was Principal of Argyle School (1939-1943) and La Verendrye School (1943-1950), retiring in 1950. She served for ten years as Superintendent of the Junior Congregation at Westminster United Church, and was a member of the women’s committee for the Canadian Institute for the Blind and a member of the Winnipeg Art Gallery. She died at Winnipeg on 13 November 1974 and was buried in Morden Hillside Cemetery.
Winnipeg School Days, 1871-1950 by W. G. Pearce, Winnipeg School Division, Education Resource Centre.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 15 November 1974, page 33.
We thank Eileenn McIntyre and Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 22 February 2015
Back to top of page