Memorable Manitobans: Frances Thomas “Frank” Lindsay (1854-1940)
Born at Arnprior, Ontario on 8 June 1854, his family moved to Sauk Center, Minnesota when he was eight years old. He lived there until he came to Manitoba in 1870s, where he was a stagecoach driver between Emerson and Fargo, North Dakota. He came to Winnipeg in 1884 and became the proprietor of the St. Lawrence Hotel near the CPR station. In 1906, he purchased the Oxford Hotel and, two years later, built the Lindsay Building nearby with the profits of earlier land investments. On 13 May 1891, he married Murdena McLeod (1864-1940, daughter of John McLeod and Catherine McCrae) at Winnipeg and they had seven children: Evelyn Jean Lindsay (1892-?), Lorne N. Lindsay (1894-?), Roy Lindsay (1896-?), Kathleen Lindsay (1898-?), Frank C. Lindsay (1901-?), Robert E. Lindsay (1905-?), and Gordon Lindsay (1907-?). He died at Winnipeg on 3 May 1940 and was buried in the Brookside Cemetery.
Brother-in-law of Alexander R. Leonard.
Birth, marriage and death registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
1911 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
“Old-time hotelman dies in Winnipeg,” Winnipeg Free Press, 4 May 1940, page 21.
“Deaths and funerals,” Winnipeg Free Press, 6 May 1940, page 2.
Lindsay Building (228 Notre Dame Avenue), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, May 1984.
We thank Christine McKee for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 December 2019
Back to top of page