Completed in 1905 and enlarged in 1915, Winnipeg’s Canadian Pacific Railway Station at 181 Higgins Avenue was the fourth railway station at the site. Designed by the Montreal architectural firm of Edward and W. S. Maxwell, it was used for passenger service until 1978. The Countess of Dufferin, the first steam locomotive in western Canada, used to stand in front of the station but is now part of the Winnipeg Railway Museum.
Since 1992, it has operated as the Aboriginal Centre of Winnipeg Inc., a “gathering place for people and a centre to foster new ideas in education, economic development, social service delivery and training.” Located near the main entrance is a plaque presented by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada. Restoration of the building received a Conservation Award from Heritage Winnipeg. It is a municipally-designated historic site.
The Countess of Dufferin locomotive stands by the Canadian Pacific Railway station (1912)
Source: Rob McInnes, WP1339
Former Canadian Pacific Railway station at Winnipeg (2010)
Source: City of Winnipeg
Former Canadian Pacific Railway station at Winnipeg (December 2013)
Source: George Penner
Former Canadian Pacific Railway station at Winnipeg (February 2018)
Source: George Penner
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.90450, W97.13170
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Plaques for Persons, Events and Sites of National Historic Significance
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Provincially Designated Historic Sites
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Union Station (123 Main Street, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Winged Victory Monument (2109 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Winnipeg Railway Museum (123 Main Street, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Railway Stations
Winnipeg Canadian Pacific Railway Station (Aboriginal Centre of Winnipeg), Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
Aboriginal Centre of Winnipeg Inc.
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
We thank Rob McInnes and George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 June 2019
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.