Memorable Manitobans: David Levin (1907-1971)
Lawyer, community activist.
Born at Odessa, Russia in 1907, he came to Winnipeg with his parents in 1912. He attended Strathcona School and St. John’s Technical High School. He received a law degree from the Manitoba Law School in 1929 and practiced law at Winnipeg, eventually as a partner in the firm of Levin, Soronow and Harris. He was made a King’s Counsel in 1950. Active in Jewish organizations, he was a founder of the Rosh Pina Congregation and served as its President, was a long-time leader of the Canadian Jewish Congress, and served as President of the Winnipeg Congress Council, as well as Western Regional Chairman (1962-1968) and National Vice-President (1968-1971). He was a member of the Liberal Party of Manitoba and was President of the North Winnipeg Liberal Association. He died at Winnipeg on 18 December 1971 and was buried in the Rosh Pina Memorial Park.
“Eight Manitobans receive King’s Counsel honors,” Winnipeg Free Press, 31 December 1949, page 1.
“King’s Counsel,” Winnipeg Free Press, 2 January 1950, page 1.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 20 December 1971, page 25.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 9 September 2014
Back to top of page