Memorable Manitobans: Gavin Allan Hall (1898-1948)
Born at Gladstone on 9 September 1898, son of Gavin Allan Hall and Mary Henderson, he was educated at Gladstone School and received a law degree from the Manitoba Law School. In 1925, he enlisted in the Canadian Expeditionary Force and served in Frances with the 226th Battalion under Colonel Gillespie. He was with the 78th Battalion in July 1917 and saw service at Passchendaele, Arras, Amiens, Cambria, Canal du Nord, Valenciennes. He was invalided to England then returned home to Canada where he articled in law with John Fletcher Campbell of the law firm of Mackenzie & Campbell. He was called to the Manitoba Bar in December 1922 then he practiced at Elm Creek and St. Claude, and was solicitor for the Rural Municipality of Grey and Bank of Commerce. In 1941, he was appointed City Clerk for the City of Brandon, becoming also City Solicitor in March 1944. During the Second World War, he was an instructor in the 101 CATG. On 19 September 1921, he married Oliva Menard (?-?) at Winnipeg and they had five children. His recreations included curling and motoring. He was a Liberal candidate for the Dufferin constituency in the 1927 provincial general election. He died at Brandon on 2 January 1948 and was buried in the Brandon Cemetery. He is commemorated by Hall Road in Winnipeg.
Marriage registration, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
Pioneers and Prominent People of Manitoba, Winnipeg: Canadian Publicity Company, 1925.
“G. A. Hall, Brandon City Clerk, dies,” Winnipeg Tribune, 2 January 1948, page 11.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 17 June 2018
Back to top of page