Memorable Manitobans: Frederick John Chubb (1846-?)
Born at Warminster, County Wiltshire, England in 1846, he emigrated to the United States in 1870 and worked as a brick mason at Litchfield, Michigan. By 1875, he had moved to Guelph, Ontario where he was a building contractor, and by 1881 to nearby Woodstock. After 1890, he came to western Canada and, in 1891, he was an inspector for construction of the Brandon City Hall and Brandon Central School. As an architect, he was responsible for the design of several Brandon buildings in the early 1890s. He left Brandon around 1895 and moved to Winnipeg briefly, before returning to Ontario, at Niagara Falls. His whereabouts after circa 1902 are presently unknown.
Some of his architectural works in Manitoba included:
“Latest wheat city gossip,” Winnipeg Tribune, 9 September 1891, page 1.
[Tenders - Alexander School], Brandon Weekly Sun, 25 August 1892, page 5.
Brandon Mail, 8 September 1892, page 3.
Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada, 1800-1950 by Robert G. Hill, Toronto.
This page was prepared by Robert Hill and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 22 May 2020
Back to top of page