The Grand Valley School District was established around 1884, at the former town site of Grand Valley about two miles south of this location in the Rural Municipality of Cornwallis. By 1897, a brick, one-classroom school building was operating at this site. It was destroyed by fire in 1957. A brick replica was dedicated here on 13 July 1968, by members of the Grand Valley School Memorial Society.
Among the teachers of Grand Valley School were Mr. J. A. Grimmett (1882-1883), Miss Maggie Jones (1884-1886), Marjorie Frewster (1920), and L. Garbutt (1920).
Grand Valley School (no date) by A. J. Hatcher
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 71.
Grand Valley School (1916)
Source: S. J. McKee Archives, Grand Valley School District #206 Fonds, 38-2006.
Grand Valley School (June 1940)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, George Harris Fonds, Acc. 1979-141, P7456, Album 4, Page 10.
Grand Valley School on fire (no date)
Source: Stuckey Collection, S. J. McKee Archives, Brandon University, 1-2002.3.3.FA6
Grand Valley School monument (July 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N49.85867, W99.90916
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Grand Valley Town Site (RM of Cornwallis)
“Teachers at the convention,” Brandon Sun, 15 October 1920, page 6.
“Picnic invitation,” Brandon Sun, 30 January 1968, page 3.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Municipal Memories by Cornwallis Centennial Committee, circa 1984.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 24 February 2017
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.