Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dalton School No. 459 (RM of Whitehead)
The Dalton School District was established in July 1885 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NW9-10-22W in the Rural Municipality of Whitehead. The original school building was replaced in 1933 or 1934. This school closed permanently in 1945 and its students went to Alexander School. The district was dissolved formally in 1964 and its area became part of the Alexander School District and later the Brandon School Division. The former school building was sold and was used for a time as a bee house at Alexander, then was moved to Virden.
Among the early teachers of Dalton School were Miss Bella B. Smith (1887), Miss Touchburn (1887), and Miss S. J. Good (1889).
Alexander West topographic map, 62F/16 West, Edition 1, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Whitehead Wanderings, 1883-1983 by Whitehead-Alexander Centennial Committee, 1983. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.W53 Whi]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 January 2015
Back to top of page