Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 141 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Little Souris School No. 227 (RM of Cornwallis)

The Little Souris School District was organized formally in November 1884 and a wood frame, one-room schoolhouse was erected at SE15-9-19W in the Rural Municipality of Cornwallis. The district became part of the Brandon School Division in 1967 and the school closed. The building was demolished around 1986.

The teachers of Little Souris School were Kate Shillinglaw (1884), Richard Earl (1885), Hannah Leslie (1885), Mina Winter (1886), Charles Traill (1887), Jessie Glendenning (1888), Lucy Dulmage (1889), Jennie Cunningham (1890), Miss Bride, Miss Symes, Miss Glendenning, Annie Arnott, Mr. T. L. Arnott, Miss Murray, Olive Arnott, Miss Barton, Miss Wilson (1897-1900), Del Wheaton, Bessie Sharman, Maude Teeple, Miss Smith, Miss Guy, John Morrison, Maude Tingley, Eva Banting, Ada Courtice, Jessie Stewart, Mabel Simpson, Maude Houston, Edith Cathers (1915), Winnifred Haggerty, Gladys Anderson, Lorna Moore (1918-1919), Margaret Critchley, Eva Roddick, Irma Gilpen, Florence Winn (1925), Ivodell Busby, Jean Fairhall, Anne Noble, Blanche Alexander, Jessie McMillan, Dorothy Kelly, Verna Harper (1937-1938), Myrtle Browton, Edith Dewar, Mrs. J. Paulson, Vera “Dolly” Slator, Mae Ferris, Rose Mund, Verna Davidson, Dorothy Seafoot, Anne Skuce (1950), Edna Jones (1950), Eleanor Rankin, Barbara Thompson, Mrs. Claude Boleyn, Donna Barclay, Muriel Rome (1956), Wendy Neuert, Darleen Mitchell, Mrs. J. Dowsett, Mrs. Cal Szakacs, and Mrs. Sadley Marcinyk (1967).

Little Souris School

Little Souris School (no date) by A. J. Hatcher
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 79.

Little Souris School commemorative monument

Little Souris School commemorative monument (August 2014)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.73930, W99.96211
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Municipal Memories by Cornwallis Centennial Committee, circa 1984.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

We thank David McDowell for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 20 June 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2020 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.