Historic Sites of Manitoba: Glen Souris School No. 209 (RM of Cornwallis)
The Glen Souris School District was established formally in 1884 and a one-room schoolhouse was constructed beside the Glen Church at SE20-9-17W in the Rural Municipality of Cornwallis. Two years later, when the Blyth School District was formed and some of the land area for Glen Souris was moved to that district, the school building was moved to a more central location, at NE24-9-18W. It remained here until 1956, fourteen years after it had closed due to low enrollment. During the period of closure, the building was used as a community centre. In 1956, it was moved to SW20-9-17W to be used as a schoolhouse by the Beecher School District. When a modern school building was constructed for Beecher, the Glen Souris building was moved back to its original site, beside the Glen Church. No vestige of either building remains at the site.
Among the teachers who worked at Glen Souris School were Olive Armstrong (1912), Winnifred Prowse (1915), M. E. Fisher (1920-1921), Mildred Dunseith (1922), Ann Stoddart (1925), Ila Cannon (1931), and Mary King (1941).
“Teachers at the convention,” Brandon Sun, 15 October 1920, page 6.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Municipal Memories by Cornwallis Centennial Committee, circa 1984.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 6 June 2015
Back to top of page