Memorable Manitobans: Charles Patrick Wilson (1859-1931)
Born at Bradford, Ontario on 14 November 1859, son of John W. H. Wilson and Amelia M. Wilson, and brother of H. G. Wilson, he articled in law at Toronto with Alfred Hoskin, father of A. E. Hoskin. His family moved to Winnipeg during his legal training and he was admitted to the Manitoba Bar in February 1883. He first practiced with the firm of Ewart, Bodwell, and Wilson. With the addition of James Fisher, the firm became Ewart, Fisher and Wilson. In a family of lawyers, Wilson was single-mindedly committed to his practice. An obituary noted that “he was of the purely legal mind and seldom or never got out of the legal line of thought, everything else being shut out.” He was made a King’s Counsel in 1909. In 1921, he was appointed the founding solicitor of the Winnipeg Foundation and he served as President of the Law Society of Manitoba (1913-1916).
In his youth he was an avid athlete, being especially active in baseball, cricket, rowing, curling, and golf. He was a founding member, in 1905, of the St. Charles Country Club where he took up residence near the end of his life.
Death registration, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“C. P. Wilson, K.C., dies in General Hospital,” Manitoba Free Press, 12 September 1931.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 20 August 2016
Back to top of page