Memorable Manitobans: William Anderson Weir (1859-1946)
Born at Glasgow, Scotland, he came to Canada in 1883 and worked at the Imperial Bank in Toronto and later as manager of the Imperial Bank at Fergus, Ontario. In 1891 he was transferred to Kenora (Ontario) where he was Branch Manager for 15 years. He then spent four years in Quebec, coming to Winnipeg in 1910 as Manager of the Sterling Bank. In 1916 he was appointed Secretary of the Western Subsection of the Canadian Bankers’ Association and Manager of the Clearing House. He held this position until his retirement in 1940.
Associated with the Winnipeg Burns Club since its inception in 1911, he was primarily responsible for erecting a Robert Burns monument in Winnipeg. He was a member of the St. Charles Country Club, Manitoba Club, and St. Andrews Society.
He died at Winnipeg on 15 October 1946 and was buried in St. Mary’s Cemetery.
1911 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
“Early banker, W. A. Weir dies,” Winnipeg Free Press, 16 October 1946. [Manitoba Legislative Library, Biographical Scrapbook B9]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 1 September 2014