This statue, on the east grounds of the Manitoba Legislative Building in Winnipeg, commemorates Scottish poet Robert Burns (1759-1796). It was erected in 1936 by members of the Winnipeg Burns Club No. 197, including Alexander Jamieson and William Anderson Weir.
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Legislative Building (450 Broadway, Winnipeg)
Memorable Manitobans: Alexander Jamieson (1868-1959)
Memorable Manitobans: William Anderson Weir (1859-1946)
“City’s backstreet offer declined as Legislative site found for statue,” Winnipeg Free Press, 31 August 1936, page 1.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 20 February 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.