Memorable Manitobans: John H. Syrnick (1904-1972)
Born at Ethelbert on 4 May 1904, son of Hnat Syrnick and Anna Hlady, he graduated from a Normal School in 1929 then taught in rural and town schools in Manitoba for eighteen years. In 1943 he moved to Saskatoon where he was Principal of the Ukrainian Institute until 1947. He returned to Winnipeg to become Editor of the Ukrainian language weekly newspaper, Ukrainian Voice, later becoming its Managing Editor. He was elected President of the Inspectoral School Division No. 1 in 1942, and was first Vice-President of the Ukrainian Fraternal Society, a member of the Board of Directors of St. Andrew’s College, University of Manitoba, as well as a member of the Consistory of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church in Winnipeg.
He was a member of the Manitoba Citizenship Council, the City of Winnipeg Zoning Board, President of the Canada Press Club in Winnipeg, Secretary of the Canada Ethnic Press Federation, and a member of the executive of the World Congress of Free Ukrainians. He was inducted into the Manitoba Order of the Buffalo Hunt for his involvement in a publicity tour to New Orleans (1957) and he was awarded a Manitoba Centennial Medal by the Manitoba Historical Society (1970).
His articles for the Manitoba Historical Society:
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 23 May 1972.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 1 January 2020
Back to top of page