Memorable Manitobans: Morrison Sutherland (1850-1915)
Born at Point Douglas in the Red River Settlement on 17 December 1850, son of John Sutherland and Janet MacBeth, he was educated in the local public school and by private tutors, eventually quitting school to work on the family farm until he was 24 years old. At that time he purchased 500 acres of land which he farmed until 1874 when he began forwarding and freighting goods to the North West Mounted Police at Fort Pelly.
In 1879 he took up land near Medicine Hat and Moose Jaw in the North West Territories, anticipating that it would become valuable on the coming of the Canadian Pacific Railway. Returning to Manitoba he met the preliminary engineering party of the CPR and was appointed chief of the commissary for them. He worked for the railway from 1881 to 1883, resigning to take up land at Medicine Hat where he ranched and conducted a wholesale and retail meat business.
Returning to Winnipeg in 1886, he was appointed a land and immigration agent at Medicine Hat and also worked as an intellience officer for the federal government, quitting in 18889 to take charge of the federal immigration office in British Columbia. He retired in 1892 and settled on a farm adjacent to his father’s homestead. He became inspector of fisheries for southern Manitoba in 1896 and assistant chief of the fish hatchery near Selkirk. Near the end of the his life, he was made a justice of the peace.
In 1886 he married Margaret Anderson Hunter at London, Ontario. They had no children.
He died at his East Kildonan home on Helmsdale Avenue on 14 September 1915.
Death registration, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“Morrison Sutherland dead”, Manitoba Free Press, 15 September 1915, page 5.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 7 June 2010
Back to top of page