Memorable Manitobans: William Albert Stapley (1885-1965)
Born at London, England on 11 June 1885, son of George Stapley and Julia Porter, he was educated at Maitland Park School. He came to Winnipeg in 1912 and joined the Canadian Fairbanks-Morse Company, staying there until 1916 when he joined British and Canadian General Investment Company of London. He went into business on his own account, as Elsey & Stapley Company, becoming its president in 1924. The company had been established in 1902 as jobbers of paint products, glass, lumber, sash and doors, general builders’ hardware. By 1934, he was General Manager of the Winnipeg Paint and Glass Company, retiring in February 1958.
In 1917, he married Mable Elsey of Peterborough, England. They had a daughter and three sons, including Percy Raymond Stapley. In 1934, the family resided at 155 Cordova Street. He was a vestryman at St. Aidan’s Church, served on the Anglican General Synod Indian and Eskimo Commission, and a member of the Winnipeg Board of Trade, Winnipeg Paint Club, and Winnipeg Rotary Club. He was active on the Manitoba Council of Boy Scouts of Canada, and Chairman of the Good Neighbors Club of Winnipeg (1948-1963). He sang for many years with the Winnipeg Male Voice Choir and was a member of the Men’s Musical Club.
“Men of Winnipeg in Diamond Jubilee Sketches,” Winnipeg Free Press, December 1934. [Winnipeg Elite Study, G. Friesen Fonds, Mss 154, Box 15, File 8, University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections]
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 18 December 1965, page 32.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 9 September 2014
Back to top of page