Memorable Manitobans: Alexander Robertson (1909-1985)
Businessman, community activist.
Born at Milton, Ontario on 11 June 1909, son of Donald S. Robertson and Catherine M. Dewar, he came to Winnipeg in 1929 to work for the family-owned Winnipeg Supply and Fuel Company. During the Second World War, he served with the Royal Canadian Artillery but was recalled in 1943 to become President and General Manager of the company, holding the positions until it was sold in 1970. The company built the Town of Thompson for INCO, once owned a flett of tugboats on Lake Winnipeg, and developed the Silver Heights suburb of Winnipeg. Robertson retired and moved to Banff, Alberta then to Kelowna, British Columbia.
He was married twice, first to Marie Elizabeth Evans (1909-1961), daughter of Robert T. Evans, and second to Mary Rosalind Forbes. While living in Winnipeg, he was active in the community, serving as President of the Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce (1955-1956), President of the United Way of Greater Winnipeg (1965), Chairman of the Winnipeg Housing Authority, President of the Winnipeg Winter Club (1948-1949), Chairman of the Winnipeg Welfare Council, and a founding board member of the Manitoba Centennial Corporation. In recognition of his community service, he was inducted into the Order of the Buffalo Hunt (1965). He was a member of the First Presbyterian Church, Manitoba Club, and St. Charles Country Club.
He died at Kelowna on 19 October 1985 and was buried in the Chapel Lawn Memorial Gardens.
[Photo caption], Winnipeg Free Press, 3 October 1955, page 7.
“These Manitobans will help plan centennial,” Winnipeg Free Press, 13 September 1963, page 9.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 23 October 1985, page 52.
Death registration, British Columbia Vital Statistics.
We thank Alex Graham and Nathan Kramer for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 1 July 2018
Back to top of page