Memorable Manitobans: David Anson Reesor (1860-1940)
Born at Markham, Ontario on 14 June 1860, son of William Reesor and Mary Jane Campbell, he attended high schools at Whitby and Oshawa then, in 1882, came to Manitoba and located at Brandon where he opened Reesor’s Jewellery, the city’s first jewellery store. He also owned a considerable amount of land along Rosser Avenue.
He was married to Lulu H. Campbell on 10 September 1890, in Ontario. They had two daughters: Lulu Kathleen Reesor (b 1894) and Marion Gertrude Reesor (b 1904). His wife died soon after the birth of their second child. He served on the Brandon City Council for several years and was a member of the Board for the Brandon Hospital, the provincial summer and winter fairs, and the Brandon Board of Trade. He was a Mason. He remarried on 11 October 1909, to Mary Ann McKelvie, at Durham, Ontario.
He was a founding member of the Manitoba Association of Optometrists.
1901 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
Marriage registration, Ancestry.
Birth registrations for Reesor children, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“Pioneer merchant, D. Anson Reesor, dies at Brandon,” Winnipeg Free Press, 28 September 1940, page 2.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 November 2014