Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 144 years

MHS Centennial Business: Reesor’s Jewellery (Brandon)

Reesor’s Jewellery, currently known as Reesor’s Jewellery (1978) Ltd., was established in Brandon, Manitoba in 1882 by David Anson Reesor. Little is known about the history of the original Reesor’s Jewellery other than it was purchased by a Mr. Fred Fenwick during the Second World War years. The company was then purchased by Mr. A. E. (Ted) Duffield in 1958, after his coming to Brandon in 1957.

The business was housed in its original location on Rosser Avenue until 1979 when the building was torn down to make way for progress in the form of the new Brandon Gallery Mall. Reesor’s moved into the new mall in 1980 and continued there until 1997, when they closed that store and continued in their second location in the Brandon Shoppers Mall.

For over 100 years, the Reesor’s Jewellery clock has stood at the corner of 9th and Rosser Avenue, and has been the meeting place for local residents. As a child, Judy McIntosh, the daughter of Ted Duffield and the current co-owner of the business, recalls many times hearing the phrase “Let’s meet at the Reesor’s Clock.” The clock stood on a pedestal at that corner until some time prior to 1958. It then hung over the sidewalk at the store until safety dictated otherwise and the clock was moved back to a pedestal. It still remains as a focal point of downtown Brandon.

In 1978, Jaye Duffield and Judy McIntosh, Mr. Duffield’s son and daughter, came into the business and Mr. Duffield started his long road to retirement. The company has continued the fine tradition of being a “full service” jewellery store with “in-house” gemologist and goldsmith, selling fine crystal, silver, and giftware. The company is proud of their many loyal and long-term employees, currently having four employees with 31, 30, 29, and 26 years of service, respectively.

An MHS Centennial Business Award was presented to Judy McIntosh by Ken Zealand in January 2003.

Page revised: 29 April 2012

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2023 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.