Memorable Manitobans: William George Murphy (1858-1918)
Born at Mitchell, Ontario on 8 May 1858, son of Gabriel Murphy and Marian Allcock, brother of Gabriel B. Murphy and brother-in-law of J. D. McGregor, he attended school until the age of 14 when he began working in a store at Mitchell. From 1881 to 1892 he owned a store in partnership with T. S. Ford then he bought his own store under the name of W. G. Murphy and Company, which he continued until 1898. At that point he moved to Carberry and established a department store which employed ten people. He later opened another store at Binscarth. Together with Thomas M. Leggatt he owned a 2,500-acre stock ranch where he raised cattle, horses, and swine, and planted 1,000 acres of crops.
On 31 August 1887 he married Julia Griffith (1868-1906) in Quebec. They had four children: Aileen Anne Crawford Murphy (1888-1918), Marjory Murphy (1891-?), Griffith Murphy (1896-?), and Rhodina Allison Murphy (1901-?). He was a member of the Carberry Board of Trade, Independent Order of Foresters, and the Episcopal church.
He died at Carberry on 30 October 1918 and was buried in the Carberry Cemetery.
The Story of Manitoba by F. H. Schofield, Winnipeg: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1913.
Death registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
The Carberry Plains: 75 Years of Progress. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.C36 Car]
Obituaries and burial transcriptions, Manitoba Genealogical Society.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 19 November 2022