Memorable Manitobans: William A. Matheson (1859-1939)
Born in Oxford County, Ontario on 7 May 1859, son of Gilbert Matheson and Anna Sutherland, he was educated at the public schools of Oxford County. In 1881, he came to Manitoba and farmed near Brandon for a time. From 1886 to 1888, he was a country buyer for the Ogilvie Milling Company. In the later year, he moved to Portage la Prairie to work for the Lake of the Woods Milling Company, transferring to its Winnipeg office the following year. He rose through the company ranks, eventually serving as General Manager at Winnipeg and Vice-President. He was also President of the Monarch Life Assurance Company, President of the Royal Securities Company, President of the Medicine Hat Milling Company, Director of the Home Investment and Savings Association, and Director of the Keewatin Milling Company. On 29 April 1901, he married Jessie Anderson, daughter of Walter Anderson of Ayr, Ontario. They had no children. He served on the Winnipeg School Board (1924-1925). He was a member of the Manitoba Club, Canadian Club, St. Charles Country Club, Masons, and Knox Presbyterian Church. He died at his Winnipeg home, 980 Wellington Crescent, on 21 December 1939.
“George V. Hastings about to retire,” Winnipeg Tribune, 29 May 1913, page 6.
Pioneers and Prominent People of Manitoba, Winnipeg: Canadian Publicity Company, 1925.
Death registration, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“W. A. Matheson, prairie business pioneer, dead,” Winnipeg Tribune, 22 December 1939, page 15.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 May 2017
Back to top of page