Memorable Manitobans: George Peterkin MacLeod (1893-1961)
Born at Bishop Auckland, Durham, England on 20 May 1893, the son of a Baptist minister, he came to Canada in 1912 and attended the Central Normal School, then taught at Edrans School, Rossland, and Binscarth School. In 1918, he decided to become a lawyer and enrolled at the Manitoba Law School. His first job was with the law firm of Macdonald and Armstrong, headed by Sir Hugh John Macdonald. For many years he was a member of the Winnipeg School Board and was elected its Chairman in 1948. He also served on the Winnipeg City Council from 1951 to 1952, but was defeated in his bid for re-election in 1952. He was a member of the Masons (St. John’s Lodge), Khartum Shriners, Winnipeg Kiwanis Club, and St. Andrew’s River Heights Church. He was married with two daughters. He died at his Winnipeg home, 33-400 Assiniboine Avenue, on 4 February 1961 and was buried in Elmwood Cemetery.
His articles for the Manitoba Historical Society:
“Six Manitoba barristers appointed King’s Counsel,” Winnipeg Free Press, 1 January 1945, page 1.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 6 February 1961, page 25.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 7 September 2014
Back to top of page