Memorable Manitobans: Edward Sherburne Kent (1888-1960)
Engineer, municipal official.
Born at Truro, Nova Scotia on 1 March 1888, he received a degree in Civil Engineering at Dalhousie University then came to Winnipeg in 1907. During the First World War, he served with the Royal Engineers and, during the Second World War, with the Royal Canadian Engineers. He worked as a bridge designer with the Manitoba government from 1919 to 1926, and with Cowan and Company from 1926 to retirement in 1956.
He was a member of the St. James municipal council from 1939 to 1948 and was a member of the town planning commission from 1939 to 1945, and again from 1949 to 1954. He served on the Board of Commissioners for the Greater Winnipeg Water District from 1951 to 1955 and was a member of the Airport Commission for many years. He was a member of the Gyro Club for 25 years and served as its President. He was Vice-President of the Association of Professional Engineers of Manitoba (1952).
He moved to Calgary, Alberta in early 1960, where he died soon after, on 30 March 1960.
1901 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
“Ex-St. James councillor dies in Calgary,” Winnipeg Free Press, 31 March 1960. [Manitoba Legislative Library, Biographical Scrapbook B12, page 6]
Pioneering in Highway Bridges for the Province of Manitoba and the Engineering Profession by George A. DePauw, 1993, page 75.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 6 June 2019